Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Bouldah Shouldahs: A Newfound Love

Prepare yourselves for the geekiest fitness talk from an over-enthused gym lover, 'cuz this topic is a big one: SHOULDER DAY (I always feel like I'm opening for Girl Code when I write like that..). Anywho...
You're probably thinking "alright Lynds, you're going crazy girl. Shoulders? Who cares?" because that's exactly what I was thinking when I started my research on shoulder training. When most people in our society think of working out or strength training, the typical image that floats into our minds is a huge man flexing through a bicep curl. 
Classic Arnold. 
I mean, really: think about it. Most women, at least, picture men with huge arms or ripped abs. But ladies, come on! What about those shoulders?!
Clearly, shoulders make up for a HUGE portion of aesthetics.
My topic here isn't targetting societal misunderstandings or gorgeous men. My topic is to prove to you why working different parts of your body are essential when it comes to having overall ... sexyness. Bicep curls and bench press are NOT going to make you look like either of the photos above, which I feel is a common misunderstanding for those who aren't so much involved in the fitness world (and that's completely fine!). I much too often run into people who just have an arm and a leg day. No chest. No back. No shoulders. COME ON. Maintaining a balanced body comes from hard work and dedication - not just sporadic 9pm workout sessions after you just blared Eminem, remembered how many cheese fries you ate last night, or reminsced on your ex. 
That's why I'm here to help: I had to learn this lesson the hard way, as I would see improvements in my arms and legs, but none in my back, chest, shoulders, etc. And why was that? 
Because I wasn't working them!
Simple. 
Soooo, hence the post title: a newfound love of mine is training my shoulders. I feel so powerful. I know it may seem strange right now...I know, because I was at that same point about 2 months ago. Shoulders? Like come on, who cares. 
look how badass this chick is
Please understand that I am in no way trying to dictate what you do/how you do it. I'm simply making suggestions and trying to help you realize why a balanced body is a healthy body. I truly wish someone would have told me this when I started my regime two years ago. 

So ladies & gentlemen...I present to you: Lyndsey's Super Swole Shoulder Workout 

Warm-up: forwards & backwards arm circles

1: Shoulder Press (dumbbells or barbell) *go heavy! WORK.
2: Lateral Raise (dumbbells or cable machine)
3: Explosive Lateral Raise (dumbbells)
4: Front Raise (dumbbells or cable machine)
5: Upright Row (cable machine) 
6: Rear Delts (machine or resistance band)
7: BURNOUT - barbell shoulder press & front raise combo

If you don't know what these exercises are (psh, I sure didn't), definitely Google them to find out the proper form and how to do the movement. We don't want any dislocations! Just for an idea on weight range and sets/reps, I usually do 20's for shoulder press for 3 sets of 12, then go to 25's for as many as I can get. For lateral and front raises, I usually use 15 lb dumbbells. Try the exercise out first, using light weight, and once you're comfortable with your form, work up in weight. These are just some suggestions - there are thousands of more exercises that will help those pretty shoulders!

If you have any questions or comments (I LOVE feedback!), feel free to contact me via any social media to the right. I would love to help!

Until next time...
Lynds 
couldn't leave ya without a selfie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for your thoughts! -lyndsey